Black Zinc Plating Services
At R&S Plating, we have a reputation for being the top metal plating company in Indiana. We serve a wide variety of individuals and industries with our high-quality metal finishing services. Our expert technicians have years of experience with many different finishes including Black Zinc Plating, hard chrome plating, copper plating, and many more.
About Black Zinc Plating
Black zinc plating is a metal finish that is commonly used to provide the underlying element with additional protection from corrosion. The zinc layer acts as a sacrificial barrier, preventing damage from occurring to the underlying structure. Black zinc plating is also a popular metal finish thanks to the striking appearance of the finished product.
The Black Zinc Plating Process
The process of applying black zinc is relatively complex, requiring a certain degree of expertise and the use of specialized equipment. The basic steps involved include:
- Cleaning the Surface – Any dust, debris, and contaminants need to be removed from the item’s exterior to ensure proper adhesion.
- Preparing the Plating Solution – Black Zinc Plating occurs in what’s called a “plating bath.” This bath contains a specially formulated electrolyte solution that facilitates the plating process. Before the plating process can begin, trained metal finishing technicians must prepare the bath with the proper solution.
- Submerging the Item – Once the solution has been prepared, the item to be coated is placed into the bath.
- Introducing an Electrical Current – Zinc ions are deposited onto the item through a chemical reaction that’s initiated through electricity. That explains why this metal finishing process is also known as “electroplating.” The current continues to run through the plating bath until the desired thickness of metal is achieved.
- Completing Post-Treatment Processes – Once the electroplating has been completed, the item is rinsed, dried, and then treated with a black chromate conversion coating.
Black Zinc Plating Applications and Benefits
Black zinc is used on a wide range of parts in heavy machines, trucks, firearms, fittings, fasteners, outdoor equipment, and more.
The benefits of black zinc include:
- Excellent adhesion
- The ability to withstand high tensile stress
- Superior protection against corrosion
- High temperature tolerance
- Aesthetic appeal
- Increased strength
- Low-stress deposit
If you’d like to learn more about how you can benefit from black zinc plating, just give us a call at 317-925-2396.
Why Hire Us for Your Metal Plating Projects
If you’re looking for expert metal finishing services, then R&S Plating is the place to be. Our staff works hard to make sure that we exceed the expectations of all our clients. And if that’s not enough reason to hire us to meet your metal plating needs, here are just a few more:
- We Have Experience on Our Side
When you’re shopping around for metal plating services, who would you rather hire – someone who’s new to the business or a well-respected company with more than 70 years of experience? R&S Plating was founded way back in 1946, which means we’ve had decades to improve and perfect our metal plating processes. You won’t find many other metal finishing services around with that kind of experience.
- We’re Family Owned and Operated
A lot has changed in the 70+ years that we’ve been in business, but one thing remains the same – we’re still a down-to-earth family-owned company with deep roots in the Indianapolis community.
- We Offer a Variety of Metal Finishing Services
Whatever your metal finishing needs, our technicians have got you covered. We offer a broad range of services including:
- Black Zinc Plating
- Hard chrome plating
- Cadmium plating
- Copper plating
- Nital etching
- Sulfamate nickel plating
- White layer removal
- …and more!
- We Offer Plating to Specification
The metal plating services we provide adhere to the most widely accepted industry standards. We’re also more than happy to meet your unique metal plating needs by following specifications of your choosing.
- We Put Our Customers First
At R&S Plating, we believe that good service goes a long way. When you come to us for metal finishing, you’ll not only receive top-notch workmanship, you’ll also receive personalized customer service. We’ll take time to answer any questions you may have about the metal plating process and find the best option for your specific project.
Call R&S Plating for Expert Black Zinc Plating
If you’re in the market for black zinc plating services, give our expert technicians a call. With a passion for metal finishing and more than 70 years of experience, you really can’t go wrong with R&S Plating. All you need to do is call 317-925-2396 or fill out the contact form on this site to get started. We can’t wait to talk to you about your metal finishing needs!